Our Strategic Focus
An 教育al program must prepare professional 社会工作ers with the multidisciplinary knowledge, practical skills, and necessary 值 to provide leadership to address the rapidly growing and increasingly complex challenges impacting the biopsychosocial conditions of children and 家庭.
By offering three 学位 项目, the GSSWSR makes it possible for students to experience and explore the full range of theories and skills necessary for today's 社会工作 practitioner, 研究员, 或学术. The program goals and objectives are designed to exceed the multiple expectations placed on 社会工作 professionals.
From our Mission Statement:
“The mission of our GSSWSR is to prepare students to work with diverse groups across disciplinary and professional boundaries, and to flexibly apply their knowledge and skills across a wide range of settings for 社会工作 practice, 教育, 和研究. We value a critical understanding of social responsibility and purposeful, 理由充分的, and imaginative action in pursuit of a just and democratic world.
Master of Social Service program is a carefully balanced curriculum, in accordance with Bryn Mawr’s mission to explore the variety of roles open to 社会工作ers, in the depth required for professional practice, and with the flexibility needed for continual growth in a changing world.
M.S.S. program is designed to:
- Teach 社会工作 ethics and frameworks for applying ethical principles to 社会工作 practice
- Promote the use of knowledge, 值, and skills for effective 社会工作 leaders across areas of 社会工作 practice at the foundation and advanced concentration levels.
- Develop strong relationship, assessment, intervention, and evaluation skills
- Utilize an integrated perspective on theory, practice, policy, research, and ethics
- Encourage self-reflection
- Advance social and economic justice
- Foster a critical awareness of diversity and the social and cultural forces that impact individuals, 家庭, 组织, and communities locally, 在全国范围内, 和全球
- Understand and apply knowledge of human behavior in multiple social, cultural, and economic contexts
- Emphasize critical and creative thinking skills
- Teach strategies to engage in ethical research-informed practice and learn how practice experience can inform research for increased effectiveness of both
- Develop students' skills for advocacy and policy practice on behalf of clients and client systems
- Create a learning community that is both challenging and supportive
Applicants are admitted with the understanding that they must be available for field placements a minimum of eight hours/week during regular working hours (Monday through Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.) and that the availability of a field placement occurring only during evening and/or weekend hours is not guaranteed.
Bryn Mawr's 研究生 School of 社会工作 and Social Research Master of Social Service (M.S.S.) 学位 is equivalent in both licensure and use to the M.S.W. 学位. M.S.S. program is fully accredited by the Council on 社会工作 Education.